Bigmouths Strike Again: A Food Blog

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Pho 236.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Pho 236.
236 King Street,
Newtown.

Style/cuisine: Vietnamese/Chinese

Sarge and I actually ate at this place last Thursday, but neither of us had gotten around to doing the inaugural post about it. And frankly, it was that long ago, and combined with tiny attention span, I can't really be arsed to put any really effort in. Sorry folks. I promise I'll do better next time.

So we alighted from the train at Newtown and decided we needed to sate our craving for umami, a flavour that can only really come from MSG asian food.

We found this little Vietnamese/Chinese place, aptly named Pho 236, and took a seat by the window. It's exactly the sort of place we were looking for - it fits our criteria for our food odyssey. It's not too flash, an establishment that could be at your local shopping strip. A place you'd take for granted.

After the entree of fried spring rolls and sui maai, I had the seafood and rice noodle and Sarge had the combination chow mein. It was all good. That's my judgment. All of it. See, I told you this was a half-arsed review.

Service? Well, erm, the waiter didn't talk much. Food came promptly. And hot. Pretty good by my standards, really. I don't ask for much.

The place was a little bare, and the decor a little worn by age. It was neat and clean which is all that matters, really.

So yeah, I'd eat there again.


Rating: Four dishes licked clean (out of a possible five).

Home